some info from Patrick on carbidopa:
From: "Patrick J. Martin" <[log in to unmask]> Subject: Carbidopa
Carbidopa is a non-selective inhibitor of decarboxylating enzymes in the
digestive system. Levodopa(Ldopa) is a large "neutral" amino acid(LNAA)
that can transfer through the blood/brain barrier and convert to
dopamine that we need. This transfer is accomplished by the LNAA
receptors in our blood. Only about 1% of the Ldopa makes its way into
our brain. The remainder is digested and utilized elsewhere in our body
-- as a source of dopamine at neurotransmitting sites and as building
material for proteins. Carbidopa's intended task is to maximize the
Ldopa survival in our digestive system until it is carried by an LNAA
receptor to our brain.
Now -- the bad news. Carbidopa is non-selective and inhibits the
decarboxylation of other LNAA's derived from our digestion of proteins.
These other "neutral" amino acids include most of our essential amino
acids. Our digestive system responds by increasing our acid production,
and retention. Our protein digestion, utilization, and competition for
LNAA receptors gets screwed up, we get barfy, get gastric reflux, start
swinging in the on/off mode, and starve ourselves to death..
So -- give it some thought -- keep your carbidopa input down to the
level YOU find necessary to fit your pattern of protein types, protein
timing, Ldopa timing, and everday activities. I find general agreement
with the less-than-100mg/day limit.
Factors that could affect this level are: my weight (150 pounds); my
age(70); my years of parkinsonism(10); my years of carbidopa/Ldopa(7).
Unfortunately, my need for Ldopa has reached 1000mg/day, so I am headed
for troubled waters again.
God bless us all
Patrick J Martin<[log in to unmask]> (70,10)
carbidopa/Ldopa 100/1000mg
amantadine 100mg
atenolol 50mg
nifedipine 60mg(extended release)
Vitamin C 1000mg
E 400 IU

--
ron      1936, dz PD 1984  Ridgecrest, California
Ronald F. Vetter <[log in to unmask]>