>Can you give us more information about what their testing consists of?
My husband has argued with the doctor during each visit, that he thinks he's
been misdiagnosed. She told him that everybody thinks they have something
besides Parkinson's. Joel (my husband) said, "That's because they probably
do." She's the one who suggested he go to Atlanta for confirmation, since it
has the only hospital doing the test for Parkinson's. She didn't elaborate.
He's been to three neurologists: 2 yea's, 1 nay. The doctor who said it
wasn't Parkinson's said his tremor was due to hypertension, which Joel's had
since he was a teenager.

>The rule of thumb is that, if the Parkinson's meds help, it's Parkinson's,
>and if they don't, it's not. >Has your husband's condition improved since
he started on the medications?
That's the frightening part; that it's only an educated guess. Joel still
has his tremor, no worse - no better. It's the only symptom he's ever had,
unless you include his having to clear his throat sometimes, to get the
words out.  I understand that it's rare for Parkinson's to be second
generation, but Joel's mother has it, another reason we still have doubts.

>I'm not a doctor, so I don't want to appear to be practicing medicine
>without a license, but that does sound like a lot of medication for
>someone diagnosed only two years ago.  Could you ask your doctor about
>gradually cutting down on some of the doses to see whether his symptoms
>improve or worsen?
She did reduce the medication and change the times, but only because he's
beginning to act-out his dreams. His speech is quite intelligible; he walks
around the room turning on lights; he hurls himself out of bed. The up side
is that if he ever has an affair, I'll know about it and give him something
to really shake about it.

I really do want to thank everybody for their input. It makes a difference
to know we're not alone.

* With a smile in her byte, *