In early October 1996, my father 68/19 underwent his second pallidotomy at Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit, MI.  His first procedure occurred 18 months earlier out East and produced very short lived benefits.  His surgeon, Dr. Fred Junn enlarged the lesion. It is now 6 weeks later and we have seen the following.
1. Significant decrease (elimination) of painful right sided muscle tightness (dystonia)
2.Increased ablility to sleep for several hours. This was virtually impossible before.
3. Increased ability to tolerate food and protein. Prior to surgery any meal would turn him to the "off" stage resulting in painful dystonia.
4.Increased fatigue (This is starting to resolve)
5. Perhaps increased drooling.
6. Possibly some flattening of emotional affect.

My assessment is that he had an excellent response which exceeded my expectations. The procedure restored quality to my father's life.  I feel very grateful particularly in this Thanksgiving season.