         GEORGE A. YOU INQUIRE ABOUT  STATES WHICH WERE INDEPENDENT
REPUBLICS Before Joining THE UNION.
      YOU ASK A TOUGH QUESTION and it depends on how you want to deal with
the confederate states that departed from the Union in 1861 and were
readmitted as individual states during the following years. WE should leave
them out. OK? By the way were there just 7 states that departed?
{S.CAL,GA,FL,AL,MISS,LOU,AND TEXAS]
          Then there is the question about what to do with Hawaii.They were
an independent nation but became a "temporary Republic" when their king was
murdered in 1893.In 1898 they transferred their sovereignty to the USA, in
1900 they were treated as a territory and in 1959 they became the 50th
state. I would vote to count them along with VT,TX and CA.
           Washington D.C.--No. the Indian Territories? I don't think so
although if one were into spliting very fine hairs one might argue that
when they ceased to exist and were taken in by 5[?] states and thus did
eventually enter the Union.
          That leaves Rhode Island,Louisianna and perhaps New Hampshire
       Rhode Island....In 1776 they created the "first Free Republic in the
new world". It wasn't until 1790 that they became the 13tnth state .The
last of the originals. I vote to count them in.
       Louisianna, voted in 1768 to become an independent republic but it
only lasted for a year and there was much international stuff afoot so I
vote no.
       New Hampshire ,and I'm a bit foggy about this,voted in 1776 to
become an "Independent Provisional Government" which they held to until
they entered the Union in 1788. I'm tempted to vote No on them because they
have left me feeling so foggy on their history when in fact I live but a
few miles away. Boy, is my face red but to be fair let me count them in.
     George So I come up with 6 VT,TX,CA  and RI,HI and NH

AND the count goes on and on
MY VERY BEST
george [[log in to unmask]]
       PS> My reasoning for NH seems weak. Is an independent PROVISONAL
govt the same as an indep.republic? Don't know.