George Lussier continued the great Historical debate by saying:

>         GEORGE A. YOU INQUIRE ABOUT  STATES WHICH WERE INDEPENDENT
>REPUBLICS Before Joining THE UNION.
>     George So I come up with 6 VT,TX,CA  and RI,HI and NH
>
>AND the count goes on and on
>.

Dear George L and George A, and all:

Don't forget California's Rough and Ready. Named for General Zachary Taylor,
this California Gold Rush mining camp seceeded from the United States on
April 7, 1850. For three glorious months it existed as the "Great Republic
of Rough and Ready." Since it had a constitution, an elected president, and
a Secretary of State to deal with foreign governments, including the US, it
really ought to be counted, don't you think? :-)

Seriously, I think digging for facts is very therapeutic. I have found that
when I become absorbed in tracking down information, my aches and pains
become muted, and the minor ones are forgotten temporarily. Its not so easy
to feel depressed while wrestling with a balky search engine. More important
to me is that my husband forgets for a short time that he hurts and his
dyskinesia seems to diminish a bit when he is motivated to look for an
answer to a question, no matter how trivial.

Martha (From Central California)