Last week I read the NIH press release regarding the location of a genetic
defect that supposedly 'causes' Parkinson's somewhere on a leg of a specific
chromosone.  I copied it and passed it on to my brother.  Our father and
grandfather had PD.  He sent the report back with a note that said, "Funny, I
don't know whether to be happy or sad about this."

I see it as a good news / bad news story as well, but not necessarily for the
same reasons.  It is not huge news in the scientific community.  To find a
genetic defect that causes a disease in a family in which 50% of the members
express that disease is logical and should happen eventually.  It's a step
forward but does not prove DuVoisin's worst case theories that all PD is
genetic.  There is plenty of evidence to the contrary along with evidence
that their are both genetic and environmental causes.  There is not much
reason at this time for parents and children with PD in their family to be
anymore concerned than the general public.

The best news is that location and description of a genetic defect will allow
more precise and effective treatment.  This may be ten or fifteen years away
or it may be a lot less if there are existing pharmaceutical products that
can correct for deficiencies, etc. caused by the genetic damage.

Certainly this important work, proclaimed by NIH investigators, adds credence
to the argument that with more money spent by NIH on PD research we will have
more exciting discoveries and better treatments sooner than we will if we
maintain the status quo.

I guess this has come down to a pitch to increasing our efforts in Washington
to increase funding for PD research.  If you have a new Congressman or
Senator, now is the time to educate them about PD and the extraordinary
potential for advances in treatment.  We have lots of supporters, let's grab
the attention of new ones while they're getting used to their new digs and
still have time to listen.