Ant=F3nio Carlos Dias wrote:
>=20
> On the 18th November James Newman wrote:
> Starting about 4 months ago (and not kicked-off by change in medication=
) I
> swell up like a balloon about 2 hours after meals
>=20
> When I red the above mentioned message of James Newman I thought that >=
I would have the opportunity of receiving some comments about the >bloati=
ng problem that he was referring which is also disturbing my >father.

Bloating due to flatus (formation of gas in intestines) that comes on
suddenly, without any change in dietary habits or medications could be
due to:

1) a change in chewing habits; sometimes this is due to a sore tooth or
dentures that don't fit well. These can make it difficult to chew
thoroughly. It can also result from "dry mouth" -- we begin producing
less saliva, and it becomes harder to wet and chew the food we eat. The
result is large pieces of food that pass into the intestine.=20

2) the digestive system slows down, and doesn't produce enough of the
enzymes that break down sugars and proteins.=20

These partially-digested foods are attacked by bacteria in the
intestine, forming gas.

There are many other possible reasons for such bloating, of course. I
would recommend paying careful attention to current chewing habits, to
see if chewing is adequate. If chewing habits are OK, you might try one
of the digestive enzyme products, like Beano or BeSure--these are taken
with the first bite of food, and begin the digestion immediately, thus
helping to prevent some of the bloating.=20

Best regards,
Kathrynne
--=20
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
Editor-in-Chief,
"Spotlight on Food--nutrition news for people 60-plus"
Tel: 970-493-6532   Fax: 970-493-6538=20
http://www.fortnet.org/~fivstar
You may wish to contact:
Better Business Bureau of the Mountain States,
for further information.