On 11/23/96 18:18:41 the following message appeared here:

>>From: [log in to unmask] (Ralph Reichert)

>>ARTICLE: JACOBSON J: PINEAL-HYPOTHALAMIC TRACT MEDIATION OF PICOTESLA
>>MAGNETIC FIELDS IN THE TREATMENT OF NEUROLOGICAL DISORDERS. PANMINERVA MED
>>1994;36:201-5.
>>
>>THE ARTICLE DEALS THEORETICALLY WITH THE SUPPOSED MECHANISM WITH WHICH
>>MAGNETIC TREATMENTS HELP PATIENTS WITH PD, SEIZURE DISORDERS AND MS. MOST
>>REFERENCES ARE TO SANDYK'S PAPERS, ALL OF WHICH ARE FROM THE INT J OF
>>NEUROSCIENCE OF WHICH HE IS ASST ED-IN-CHIEF. OTHER REFS ARE JACOBSON'S
>>FROM J THEOR BIOL;CHIN MED J; PANMINERVA MED ITAL MED ASSN AND 1 FROM
>>ISRAEL J MED SOC.  NOTHING FROM OTHER MAJOR RESPECTED JOURNALS.
>>
>>ARTICLE IS HEAVY ON PHYSICS AND MAIN THRUST SEEMS TO BE THAT MELATONIN
>>PRODUCTION BY PINEAL GLAND IS DECREASED AFTER TREATMENTS.

Some time ago, when I was searching for information on micrographia, I
stumbled upon a number of Medline references to claims of beneficial effects
of electromagnetic fields in the picotessla range on micrographia, freezing,
word fluency and other Parkinson symptomology, and on Multiple Sclerosis, as
well.

As this posting states, the research was published in Int J Neurosci.
Primarily, the research was carried out by SandyK, R. and others. The
Author's address is: Neuro Communication Research LAboratories, Danbury, CT
06811.

Reading the abstracts, it sounds as though being zapped by low level EMF
would improve the lives of PWPs dramatically, without surgery or
medications! Claims include alleviating freezing and dyskinesia, easier
movement, reduction of pain, improved sleep, improved cognitive ability, and
improved handwriting. Sounds great, doesn't it? I would feel a lot more
confident in these findings if researchers with PD expertese at other labs
had duplicated the results and published them. My husband's neurologist, who
keeps up on the current research, thought it was ridiculous. Does anyone
have any information to contribute on this subject?

In addition to the usual Medline records, a place to start for information
is Information Ventures, Inc. at:
http://www.infoventures.com/private/hrpt/v1/abthera2.html

While on this trail, I also ran across an abstract from a Japanese report on
the use of electroshock treatments as a substitute for surgery to improve
Parkinson symptoms. What next?

Martha Rohrer