Greetings, Canilla:

Often, but not always, a poet or writer or other creative person will
sell/give copyright to the publisher of a book that he is contributing to.
Giving it away is a good thing to avoid.

Unless it is explicitly given away - also, usually automatic in the act of
of writing as an employee writer as well  - the author always automatically
owns/keeps copyright, in the U.S.A.

That's my understanding. I'll listen for other view (how DARE you) and
amendments.  :-)

David Austen

 On Sun, 24 Nov 1996, Camilla Flintermann wrote:

> Re: copyrights, as questioned by Kees--I understand that unless a poem,
> etc. has been printed somewhere and the author RECEIVED PAYMENT, the
> copy right remains with the author. Can anyone verify/correct this? I've
> gone by this rule in relation to my own writing, and the info source was
> a newspaper , which ought to know.  Good for you, Kees--keep it up!
> Camilla Flintermann,CG for Peter,78/7, Ohio

David Robert Austen
Masters Degree Program in Information Science
Indiana University, Bloomington
Indiana 47405 U.S.A.
Telephone 812 335 8835  Fax 812 335 8598