>>Do you know a bill or resolution number that I can use to find more
>>information on this legislation?  Thanks,
>>
>>Sam Whittle

Sam, you can get all the information you need via this web site:

http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~jskaye/pd/congress/index.html

I've included a small portion of the bill, and comments by Senator Hatfield,
for those who don't have access to the WEB.

Morris K. Udall Parkinson`s Research, Education, and Assistance Act of 1995

To amend the Public Health Service Act to provide for the expansion and
coordination of research concerning Parkinson`s disease and related
disorders, and to improve care and assistance for its victims and their
family caregivers, and for other purposes.

STATEMENTS ON INTRODUCED BILLS AND JOINT RESOLUTIONS

 By Mr. HATFIELD (for himself, Mr. SIMPSON, Mr. SIMON, Mr. STEVENS, Mr. INOUYE,
          Mr. WELLSTONE, Mr. KERREY, Mr. COCHRAN, and Mrs. BOXER):

S. 684. A bill to amend the Public Health Service Act to provide for
programs of research regarding Parkinson's disease, and for other purposes;
to the Committee on Labor and Human Resources.

 THE MORRIS K. UDALL PARKINSON'S RESEARCH ASSISTANCE AND
                        EDUCATION ACT OF 1995

Mr. HATFIELD.
Mr. President, if you want to know more about Parkinson's disease all you
have to do is read the newspaper or watch the nightly news. You don't even
have to read the whole paper, the information is usually on page 1.
Prestigious and international papers such as the New York Times and the Wall
Street Journal believe that the news is worthy of front page coverage.
"Prime Time" had a feature on Parkinson's, and our very own Washington Post
devoted three pages to promising new developments. What has caused the media
fervor is the exciting new and dramatic medical discoveries in the field of
neurology and neurosurgery. As I speak, scientists are uncovering new
important data on nerve cell function and repair. Our biomedical research
teams are on the cusp of breaking the code to nerve regeneration.

In these times of exciting new developments, we are unfortunately
encountering a financial impediment. Last year, the Federal funding for
Parkinson's disease at the NIH was $26 million. To put that number in
prospective, the annual Federal budget for Alzheimers is $300 million, $1
billion each for cancer and heart disease. Our commitment to eradicating
Parkinson's disease is minuscule in comparison. I cannot understand the lack
of financial support for a disease that affects over 1 million Americans and
costs our society over $6 billion a year. This disease is so widespread that
each one of us has a close friend or loved one who is facing the challenge
of life with Parkinson's.
We must change our message to the American public and declare that increased
Federal funding for Parkinson's disease research is a worthy investment in
the future health of our Nation.

* With a smile in her byte, *