My mother is 68 years old and has had PD for ove 20 years.
Lately, her quality of life is not that great, which has prompted me to think
about pallidotomy as an alternative.

I would appreciate any cmments from those of you who have had this operation
or have researched it.

Specifically I am looking for the answers to these questions (not a total
list):

1. Which patients are the best candidates for Pallidotomy? Can you be too
old? Do you have to be in a certain state of health?
2. Who are the best surgeons that perform this operation? Are there any good
ones in the New York City area or in the Ft Lauderdale area?
3. Is there any research available which indicates success and failure rate,
as well as detailing the risks of the operation?
4. My mother's neurologist does not seem to encourage this operation. Yet
surprisingly he does not seem to know much about it eaither. Should we depend
on his advice?
5. What other alternatives are worth taking a good look at?

Thanks in advance to all who respond.

regards