>I hope to hear from a number of you, people with PD as well as

I became part of an experimental situation involving pallidal-stimulation
surgery. My neurologist informed about the study to be held at Kansas
University and asked if I was willing to take part since I was getting little
benefit from sinement and after much consideration of the pros and cons I
said "yes."  I was told it could alleviate the dystonia and dyskenisa
problems I was having.  Initially the purpose of the study was to target
these conditions and not tremor.  Considering the fact that the probes could
be removed if another surgical procedure became available and that a
pallidotomy could not be reversed I chose the implants .
This was with the understanding that the surgery may not be covered by my
insurance carrier.  It was turned in as a pallidotomy (code wise) and
eventually was practically all covered by my insurer.  Needless to say we
were pleased.
The surgery was successful in that it not only negated the dystonia but also
stopped my tremor which had been a major debilitating factor.  I primarily
suffer from fatigue and a mild depression which I am treating with zoloft.  I
still take about the same amount of sinement but do not get the dyskenias I
previously had.  Without the sinement I get slow and rigid and somewhat
lethargic.
I hope my experiences with the implant surgery will be helpful even though it
was not a pallidotomy.
                    Dick