I am a part of a team at an Institute that has been performing
Pallidotomies for about 2 years now.  We have learned that the
Pallidotomy can be extremely helpful in decreasing or eliminating
SPECIFIC symptoms:  dyskinesia, tremor, rigidity.  We inform our
patients that they may or may not have improvements in other areas -
gait, balance, speech, swallowing.

>1. Which patients are the best candidates for Pallidotomy? Can you be too
>old? Do you have to be in a certain state of health?
>2. Who are the best surgeons that perform this operation? Are there any good
>ones in the New York City area or in the Ft Lauderdale area?

I suggest that you consider selecting a surgeon who utilizes the
micro-electrode recording technique for performing the Pallidotomy
surgery.  This extra step during surgery helps to ensure accurate lesion
placement and prevent potential negative side effects.

I hope this is helpful.  Feel free to contact me for more information if
needed.  Carole Hilton, LCSW  The Neurosciences Institute, Good
Samaritan Hospital, Los Angeles,  (800) 841-8765   or