I too am a hoosier. There are several versions regarding the derivation of
"Hoosier:.
The one I like concerns the propensity for Hoosiers to be lazy.
According to some historians; During the Indian days a settler would ride up
to a strange house and say in a loud voice WHO'S THERE. If he received a
English reply he would know it was safe to dismount. Over time, slurring
words as Hoosiers do, it became HO'S THERE, AND eventually hoo sier.
If you believe that one I'll tell you another.

Ed Ashley
Born in Kokomo and raised in Ft.Wayne, now a  "Jersite"!