Subject: Testing

Hello everyone,  There have been a number of interesting inputs to this
subject. I would like to comment on one aspect where (thanks to the march
of progress) the situation has changed.
   It was true not very long ago that the only definitive diagnosis of PD
was by autopsy. However the improvements in resolution achieved by the
latest scanners have made it possible actually to see the dopamine
functioning in the brain. A sufferer of PD shows up immediately with a
much reduced spread and reduced activity. It is by testing of this sort that
Neurologists at the University of Nottingham have been able to show that a
person who does not have PD generally shows no loss of dopamine capacity
throughout their lifetime. However scanners of this power and resolution
are far too busy on fundamental research to be used for routine examination
of people who may or may not have PD, so in practical terms are not much
further forward.
   I agree with the comments of Dick Swindler, that witholding levodopa
tablets for 24 hours, or however long it takes to decide whether it was
having an effect, will have no long-term effects (good or bad) on the
patient's response to levodopa. I am not a fan of the Drugs Holiday concept,
- I suspect that the claimed benefit when the drugs are resumed is mostly
sheer relief at the release from torment.)

The next point may be drifting off the subject a little, but I think it
is worth raising: Many people (Not only PWPs) ,after several years of
treatment, find themselves swallowing an increasing number of different
tablets, each tablet having been provided for what seemed to be a good
reason at the time, but many of them in fact merely cancelling another
drug prescribed at some point in the past.  Eventually someone (Usually
a Consultant because the lower ranks don't have the nerve) enhances his
reputation even more by stopping all the tablets in one grand gesture -
and the patient feel better!!

It can happen with PWPs as well. I know of cases where a high dose of my
favourite 'bete noir'  (Bromocryptine) ,prescribed in a misguided attempt
to avoid levodopa, resulted in hallucinations and other psychiatric
disturbances. To counter these symptoms some powerful drug such as Clozaril
was prescribed, necessitating weekly checks because of the possible side-
effects, etc ,etc - And all for want of a bit of levodopa.

An example from outside the PD world was recently brought to my attention,
when my mother (Who at 87 years old has pretty bad circulation problems
particularly in her legs), had a whole battery of drugs swept aside, and
replaced by a simpler, less aggressive (by which I mean carrying a much
reduced risk of side-effects) routine, and feels better for it.

Does your list of 'active ingredients' make sense if you stand back and
look critcally at it ?

Regards,
--
Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>