--=====================_849072614==_

the rest of article tomorrow

--=====================_849072614==_

THE MANHASSET PRESS       (date:  11/7/96
==================================
B E R N I E 'S    B A N T E R           by  Bernard Klainberg

                JINX

      Jinx , Jinx Falkenburg, Jinx Falkenburg McCrary. Mention the name in the right
circles , the ones remembering the forties and the fifties,  and eyes light up with
recognition.
     They recall "Jinx" fondly  not only in  the town of Manhasset where she is a long
time resident,  but where ever transplanted New Yorkers have wandered off.
     The  name  brings to their minds a  beautiful,  regal lady who was   well
known across America  specially in the Big Apple.   She was  in the public eye a long
time. She had great success as a model, film actress, radio and tv personality and was
an outstanding athlete in tennis and swimming.
       I have followed her career with great interest since 1948, when I first heard  her
nightly radio program. As a newly arrived  Latin American , I learned through
her interviews and reporting quite a bit about my new country's politics and arts. Of
course, I was very impressed by her command of the Spanish language.
      I was delighted  26 years ago, to find that we lived in the same town, less than a
mile away. I looked forward to someday speak to her, and it has happened.

                An Accomplished Lady
      Ms Falkenburg  began as a model in the late  forties,  and received the greatest
accolade of the time, being put on the cover of Life magazine.  She was also a
Miss Rheingold winner , a celebrated  New York beauty pageant event.
      Hollywood beckoned and she  made several movies, " Cover Girl " among them
with Gene Kelly, and Rita Hayworth .
     Ms Jinx  had a  long running  radio show ,( "Tex and Jinx ") which originated
daily from   Peacock Alley   at the Waldorf Astoria. I remember slinking into the lobby of
the Waldorf   to get a glimpse of Ms Falkenburg, and being escorted out of the "Alley".

               IKE
     Tex McCrary was a  newspaper man, and  I recall, he was one of the
people who convinced Dwight Eisenhower, then President of Columbia University, to
run for the Presidency(US).  Tex and Jinx were very prominent in the campaign of '52
and  you  may recollect that Ike won.
      Like millions of Americans I also liked Ike, but as you may know from previous
columns , I worked and voted for Adlai Stevenson, also a great American. In hindsight ,
the only big fault I found with Ike's performance as President  was his keeping Nixon as
v.p. when he had the opportunity to dump him, but that is another tale.

           Tennis Memorabilia
      As mentioned , Ms. Falkenburg   was a well rounded athlete excelling in
swimming, and tennis. The whole family had a passion for sports, and it culminated
when    brother  Bob won the Tournament at Wimbledon in 1948.
      Meanwhile in the South Bronx , my brother Dolf and I were also were much
involved with tennis. To be a tennis player in the Bronx in the 50's you had to be quite
tough.
     Dolf entered the City Police Athletic League championships, and with me as a
coach, my younger sibling won the   Bronx title and then vanquished the Manhattan
winner. Unfortunately defeat came when the  Queens County champion   came to the
match assisted by a pro coach.

To be continued. The founding of North Shore Hospital, The Jinx Book.,........