Brian - Thanks for both articles, the one on carbidopa and the one on
testing.  They were very, very informative, and I have printed one for my
file of articles to share with our support group.
     Although I was the one who made the original statement about PD not
being detectible except at autopsy, I wasn't thinking at the time about the
PET scan Dick had to compare the electrical function of his brain with and
without meds and with and without his stimulator (he has had bilateral
pallidal stimulation surgery, which is similar to a palllidotomy).  One of
the PET scan doctors showed me one of those pretty, colorful PET scans of a
brain, and told me it was a scan of a PWP brain.  It was evident that the
electrical activity was different (as shown by the colors) on one side vs.
the other side, and the doctor explained that this particular patient so far
showed only unilateral symptoms - it was clearly evident even to me.
     So, as far as testing goes, apparently the electrical activity of the
brain of a Parkinsonian looks different from a "control" brain at least on a
PET scan.  However, PET scanners are very expensive and there aren't many
medical centers that have them.  For anyone who is interested, Dick had the
PET scan done at North Shore Hospital on Long Island, Manhasset, NY.
               Margie Swindler  Lawrence, Ks