I can give you some information on the just-approved drug, pramipexole.
I have been taking it for three years as part of a research study at Wash
U in St. Louis.

The first year was a double blind study, so I didn't know if I was
getting the medication or not.  I did very well that year.  The second
year on the study I leveled out at  a lower dosage and did not do so
well.  I always felt I was undermedicated.

Finally, in the third year, I was permitted to increase my dosage to the
next level.  I have been on the adjusted dosage for a week, and it has
made all the difference in the world!  My "off" times are fewer and much
more tolerable.  I am back to living a normal life.

Pramipexole is a dopamine agonist, similar to parlodel and permax, but
more effective.  It helped me particularly with balance and handwriting.
As stated above, it has helped reduce my "off" times as well.  All I can
say is it's given me hope that I may live a semi-normal existence until
the cure is found in 5-10 years (hopefully).

Hope this helps!

Pat Schark

  pine`