On Sat 30 Nov, Joao Paulo Carvalho wrote:
> Brian Collins wrote:
>
> > Incidentally, I used to play Badminton in the earlier days of my PD, and
> > I too used to take a 'Booster tablet' thinking that I needed it. I now am
> > sure that in fact this is not so. The dopamine is a neural transmitter:
> > it passes on messages alomg the chain of neurons carrying the message
> > from the brain to the muscle. THe same amount of Dopamine is required to
> > make the arm move gently or move forcefully. However, it was most
> > important that I did not become underdosed while leaping about, because
> > I knew that I could not play effectively in that condition. The extra
> > tablet was effectively an extra bit of insurance.
> > Regards
>
> Brian it may be just a false feeling but seems to me that when I take
> levedopa and go to play soccer early in the morning the effect of it is
> a better ? absorption of the drug.This is one thing that has aroused
> suspection to me anyway.
>
> All the best to you
>
>    +----| Joao Paulo de Carvalho   |------ +
>    +--------| Salvador-Bahia-Brazil |------+

Hello Joao Paulo, nice to hear from you again. You raise a good point: The
fact that you are running and expending a lot of energy will certainly
cause an increase in the rate of flow of blood around the body. The
levodopa will thus be transportd to the brain more quickly, so that the
apparrent effect will be like a bigger tablet, but one with a reduced
effective duration. At a guess, I would suspect that the size of the
effect would be related to the pulse rate. So, our athlete is going to get
a boost of levodopa with a reduced time duration. Since most PWP who
engage in highly energetic activities tend to be those who are in the early
stage of the disease, they are unlikely to notice the overdose effect.( As
illustrated in my chart which was discussed a few weeks ago), so we are
left with the reduced duration. - Perhaps the sportsman should just
increase the rate of tablets, rather than the size of dose.

Regards,
--
Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>