The rules for interacting with neurologists will work only if the neurologist
(or other HCP) is willing to be open-minded and to work with you.

I have a wonderful working relationship with a family practitioner locally.
 We listen to each other. We respect each other. (have lived in this state
only 7+ years......dx confirmed 6+years............symptomatic 30+ years)

My diagnosis from Neurologists is Parkinson's Plus.   I have very typical
Parkinson's symptoms....some of which existed when I was in high school (I am
now 52).  I have additional neurological responses that are not completely
understood by the medical community (major problem being an extreme
sensitivity to light.....recall the recent discussion on the list re:
lighting in supermarkets.....my problem even includes response to the colors
in the sky at sunset/sunrise....I am almost non-functional in the afternoon
sun during the summer).

Secondly, I have an extreme sensitivity to many drugs (coma, drug induced,
 during a tonsillectomy at the age of 5.....any non-Parkinson's med that I
take must be started as an IV to establish the rate at which I tolerate the
drug).....my father and one son share this drug sensitivity problem.

I was experiencing a very good relationship with a neurologist who moved from
our local area.......because I was on the cabergoline trial, I remained with
a neuro in-state because of frequency of visits required by drug trial
protocol.  During the past two years I have seen two different neuros at two
locations; one nationally known and respected who would not listen to one
word that my husband or myself uttered.  In fact, he told my husband if he
understood research, he would not be asking such questions (my husband is the
Director of Biotechnology at UN-L and a molecular biologist/biochemist by
training.....we thought he did understand research!)

We tried  to communicate effectively with both neuro groups.  Our family
practitioner tried  to communicate with both groups.

Both neuros repeatedly said.......most of her problem is anxiety; failed to
return phone calls from emergency room physicians; failed to return phone
calls to family MD.

Finally, we traveled back to nationally respected (but more importantly
patient/family respected) neuro #1 to resume my treatment --- 14 hours away
but will deal with us by phone between visits and will listen to and respond
to our needs.  (Strange, that having done  volunteer work which involved
extensive interaction with this neuro in the past..........he does not/nor
did he ever believe that anxiety is one of my problems!)

One of the greatest maladies that plagues MDs is a chronic condition which I
describe as "hard of listening".

The wise professional realizes that we, as patients, contract with the
physician for services.  He/she needs the patient to pay his/her bills.

The even wiser professional realizes that both HCP and patient /family are
all people and deserve to be treated as such.

Not knowing the answer to a patient's question is not a failure on the part
of the HCP.

Not listening to the questions a patient asks is the first step in failing to
treat that patient.

Rita Weeks