George!!,

You have raised an extremely important issue -- the nature of the
patient-physician relationship in the waning years of the XXth C.  Things ain't
what they used to be.  And they ain't never going to be again.  No longer are
physicians priests and the ill supplicants seeking the favor of the gods.  The
relationship is now more provider-receiver, or, perhaps, expert guide-medical
tourist.

This has come about, I think for two principal reasons.  First, the greater
sophistication of the general public, many of whom are as well educated as their
MD. Second, and this applies with special force to PWP and their CG, the
doctor-patient relationship is greatly extended. The patient's symptoms are
relieved, but his or her health is not restored.  Compare PD with childhood
measles, for example.

I think the medical profession is well aware of the situation and making an
effort to accomodate this new reality, but change, especially in attitude, is a
slow business. I brush my teeth regularly, but floss?, only when heavy guilt
sets in. When I was six years old, brushing twice a day was the cutting edge of
dental hygiene.  Who flossed?  Old habits die hard.

Our physicians work for us.  We pay them.  This transaction is not bargain
basement economics, however.  We are not looking for discounts or early-bird
specials.  Neither are we looking for a Santa Claus who will give us what WE
want.  We are looking for a warm, caring human being with an MD specialty in
neurology, sub-specialty in PD, whose advice we trust, who will bring us up
short if need be, and who understands that to treat the PWP is to treat the CG's
as well.

Who said it would be easy?

I have run on too long. George L. said it better.

George Andes