On 12/03/96 15:12:32 Sara asked:

>My father, who is 75 has just been diagnosed with Parkinsons Disease.

 The one cofusing thing is that he is experiencing a lot of pain in his
>legs, and is being told that this is not normally a symptom of Parkinsons,
>does any one out there have any comments or info on this.

Sara, that sounds familiar. My husband's first symptom was numbness in his
feet and leg pain. Like your father, he was told this was not a usual
symptom of PD. It was suggested his problem was peripheral neuropathy. The
family doctor referred him to Stanford where he was tested by neurologists
and hemotologists for several years before a firm diagnosis of PD was made.

That was in 1986. His legs still hurt him, and have since 1980. Thinking
back to the beginning, it is clear that a lot of progress has been made in
diagnosing PD. It shouldn't take five years any more. Leg pains may not be a
symptom for the "standard Parkie" who presents to the neurologist, but it
certainly is for some.

Martha Rohrer
Caregiver for Neal, 76/11).