PC Gadget (3 Dec 96)
Not a PC wonk myself, I'm unsure how well-known this is, so will
share it with others on this list: The standard screen control
these days is the familiar mouse, usually with two or more buttons.
With my uncertain hand and finger control, I found that while
trying to click on a small target I often would inadvertently move
the mouse body as well, with annoying results. Trackballs and
joysticks may be OK, but they have similar problems.
The new gadget is called a trackpad; you move the cursor on the
screen by merely drawing a fingertip lightly across a smooth
surface. You can click by a light tap on the same surface, or by
using the standard buttons provided. But the trackpad doesn't
move, it stays firmly planted on little friction feet. This
gadget does everything that can be done with the mouse, but does
not require a big friction pad (where I always ran off the edge).
Another advantage is that not needing a big area, the trackpad
can live right near the letter section of your keyboard, so you
don't have to reach for it.
The trackpad comes in several flavors, ranging in price from about
$50 to $90 or more, but the cheapest is perfectly adequate for me.
It works with DOS, Windows, or Windows 95 merely by plugging into
whatever port your mouse now occupies. Pretty sure there is a
version for MACs as well. Comes with a software driver, if you
want to customize, but I didn't bother. There are more than one
brand; mine happens to be a Cirque Glidepoint, well-made (in China)
and recommended.
Cheers,
Joe

J. R. Bruman (818) 789-3694