Hi,

In one of my regular e-newsletters (TidBITS#356/02-Dec-96), there is an
article about a company who can turn text (e.g. Internet text) into voice:

>  TidBITS recently signed a licensing agreement with AudioMagNet, a
>  new company that provides the service of converting Internet texts
>  to audio cassette, using a 16-bit computer voice. AudioMagNet
>  approached us with the idea several months ago, noting that such
>  tapes might be appreciated by commuters and by anyone who - for
>  whatever reason - doesn't find it convenient (or possible) to read
>  text. TidBITS is AudioMagNet's first title, but the company plans
>  to have more soon, based in part on suggestions they receive.

If you want the full article with contact email please ask; its a bit long
to post in full here.

Might be useful for those trying to get stuff out to people who can't read
easily or manipulate a book/computer.

BTW, lots of computers (including all Macs) now come with "Text to speech"
software.

Simon

--------- My opinions are my own, NIP's opinions are theirs ----------
Simon J. Coles                                 Email: [log in to unmask]
New Information Paradigms                  Work Phone: +44 1344 778783
http://www.nipltd.com/                     Work Fax:   +44 1344 772510
=============== Life is too precious to take seriously ===============