Hello, Mary and all:

I'm on this list only due to my mother (SDS, age 73) but I think I am still
qualified to comment on the place for humor here.

Lot's of humor does offend various people, so we'll all now try to be more
sensitive. And I'd say there is a good argument for a dose of it every day.
(Other's might argue that there is an argument for a glass of Port each
afternoon! Or a hot bath every evening).

Well, I don't think I'm in any position to propose guidelines for the
listserv, but gee, I'd say we were being curmudgeons if there were to be
a policy against all humor.

So how about rationing ourselves to just a few of the best jokes each
day? Perhaps no more than one per person a day. Any other ideas?

Humor is seriously good medicine. I've no doubt about that!

David

--------

On Wed, 4 Dec 1996, Mary Sheehan wrote:

> Hi Jeff,
> I have been feeling guilty about the recent criticism of jokes and humor on
> the list because I was the one who asked for jokes to share with a friend who
> has ALS.  When several people pointed out that the PARKINSNlist was intended
> for serious subjects, I felt like a child caught giggling in church.
> Your posting of "Laugh at It" made me feel better.  Not only is laughter good
> for the heart and soul, but it also good for the mind - increasing creativity
> and problem solving abilities.  In addition laughter promotes good health and
> has no side effects (like dystonia or hallucinations).
> I realize that most members of the list enjoyed the humor, so assuming this
> is a democracy where the majority wins, I have another joke.  I'll post it
> separately so those who wish to can delete.
> Mary Sheehan

David Robert Austen
Masters Degree Program in Information Science
Indiana University, Bloomington
Indiana 47405 U.S.A.
Telephone 812 335 8835  Fax 812 335 8598