On Wed 04 Dec, Debby Hurlbert wrote:
> Brian - Is it bad to take more than 100mg carbidopa a day or just
> unnecessary?  Debby

Hello Debby,  I could answer your question in 2 ways. The cop-out way (while
true in its way, is to say that more than the required quantity of anything
is bad, and should be avoided. Well, I won't hide behind that: The real
answer is that doctors are not united on this subject. Many do not recognise
a danger level for Carbidopa; conversely many do. I am going to slip in here
an extract from an email which I wrote on 26 November.

2/ So: What happens to the unwanted excess carbidopa. The clever thing about
Carbidopa is that it cannot get into the brain, and is forcibly separated
from the levodopa at the blood-brain-barrier. By this time, the Carbidopa,
cast adrift after doing a fine bodyguard job on the levodopa, is probably
going to have what we might call an attitude problem, so it sets off to do
the one thing it is good at: protect Large Amino-Acids from chemical attack.
And they are there in profusion; their reason for being there to act as the
building blocks for protein in various parts of the body.They need to
interact chemically to do their job, and the carbidopa will spoil this
delicate balance, until it is eventually broken down by the liver. The
theory ( Idon't think it can be called more than that) is that by
interfering with the delicate balance in the blood stream, the Carbidopa
produces feelings of lethargy, sleepiness, lassitude,  etc.

3/ If the above argument is unconvincing to a sceptical neurologist or
doctor, you might ask why else do Sinemet produce a specially low dose
tablet having  100 mh of levodopa and only 10 mg of Carbidopa.
end of quote

  I have received several postings from people on the list who need to take
fairly large doses of levodopa, who also complained of lethargy and similar
symptoms. The level at which I would begin to worry is about 300 mg per day,
so it's not a very delicate balance; just one more thing to remember
Regards,
--
Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>