To the List,
I ran across this notice on another listserv I belong to, and thought it
might be of interest to PD Idea Exchange:
-------

M E D I A    R E L E A S E
December 1, 1996

Quality Access Int'l Offers Accessibility for Travellers

Sydney -- QUALITY ACCESS INTERNATIONAL ( QAI ) the nation's first
reservation system designed specifically for the traveller with
conditions
(classified disability) is in final preparation for its 'on-line' debut
on
December 3rd, the International Day of the Disabled Persons.

Travellers with special conditions, their travelling companions and
travel
agents will be able to contact QAI through a 1300 number in Australia or
the Internet to request further information on accommodation, tours and
facilities throughout Australia that are set up to assist with these
special needs.

QAI's Chairman, Mr Jacob Baldwin reports, "The interest from both the
public and the travel industry in learning more about this system has
been
tremendous.   Our team of inspectors have been all over the east coast
assessing accommodation hotels and resorts interested in receiving the
QAI
seal of quality assurance."

"Properties and tours which undergo the QAI quality assurance audit are
finding that sometimes the physical modifications necessary to become
fully
assessable to this travel segment with conditions is as simple as adding
lighted 'doorbell' to rooms for the hearing impaired traveller,"
explained
Mr Baldwin.   "There is no set basic description for the ideal QAI
property
-- large corporate city hotels and basic holiday resorts are all
expressing interest in the program."

While much of the QAI Reservation System relies on today's high tech
communication systems for distribution, the 'personal touch' will still
be
in place, with trained staff (many with conditions themselves) on-line
from
December 3rd for Domestic callers on the QAI telephone number -- 1300 36
36
80 or International ( 61-29) 262 5555.

For further information, pleased contact:  Werner Balsiger on Tel 0411
860
252 or Fax: ( 02 ) 9 360 1085  or Email:  [log in to unmask]

--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
Editor-in-Chief,