From:   PARKINSN: Parkinson's Disease - Information Exchange Network on behalf
of Bob & Joy Graham
Sent:   Thursday, December 05, 1996 5:45 AM
To:     Multiple recipients of list PARKINSN
Subject:        Sexuality & Chronic Illness

I was surprised that no one mentioned the wonderful little book called
"Sex. Love & Chronic Illness" which is written by Lucille Carlton and
published by the National Parkinson's Foundation 1994 (Lucille also writes
a column for the NPFoundation). ISBN No: 0-964171201 The book can be
obtained through the NPF at 1501 N.W. 9th Ave, Bob Hope Rd, Miami, Florida
331361494 USA. (That postal code looks a bit too long - can anyone correct
this if it is incorrect?)  I am not sure what it would cost in the USA -
can someone fill in these details?

This is a book which is well worth having and especially for Parkinson's
support groups to loan out.  Following is a review I wrote for our local
newsletter.

SEX LOVE & CHRONIC ILLNESS by Lucille Carlton, 1994, National Parkinson
Foundation, Miami, Florida.
This is a book which all health professionals should have on hand to loan
to their patients  More than a how-to manual, this small book is a
celebration of loving.  But be prepared; Ms Carlton does not beat about the
bush.  Editor

Matthew B. Stern, Director of The Graduate Hospital, Parkinson's Disease
and Movement Disorders Centre and Associate Professor of Neurology,
University of Pennsylvania, writes in the foreword to the book:
Despite the remarkable achievements in the treatment of Parkinson's disease
in recent years, we remain largely ignorant of the causes of sexual
function and dysfunction, and are therefore guilty of frequently dismissing
one of the major reasons for despair in our patients.  As a rule,
neurologists are ill-equipped to deal with our patients' concerns regarding
their sexuality.  Combined with a natural reluctance by most couples to
discuss sexuality with a virtual stranger, the Parkinsonian patient and
partner are often left assuming that a satisfying sex life, like normal
motor function, is merely a vestige of a former life.
Lucille Carlton's frank discussions of love, sexuality, and chronic illness
will indeed go a long way toward dispelling old notions regarding sexuality
in elderly and impaired individuals.  Told through the framework of her own
wonderful relationship with her husband, Bob, who had PD for many years, Ms
Carlton has given us a much needed tool to promote more open discussions
among health care providers, patient and spouse and physician and patient.
Her own roller-coaster ride through the many ups and downs of living with
PD has given her a unique perspective which she, thankfully, has chosen to
share with us.  I have read "Sex, Love, & Chronic Illness" both as a
neurologist treating patients with PD and as an individual aspiring to
maintain my own loving relationship.  Either way, this book is replete with
useful information.  Indeed, it is more about communication than sex, and
how a loving and supportive relationship can overcome so many of the
obstacles to intimacy that PD imposes."

Sincerely
Joy Graham