Mary S....

Interesting point you made about gender differences in communicating.  I
believe that since the dawns of time, men are trained to be stoic about pain
and emotion, and thus today, despite a societal push towards what's called
"sensitivity" (and is really just 'letting it all hang out"), a great many men
are only comfortable discussing their job, sports, politics and of course, the
weather (do you KNOW how many men I've dated who can spend HOURS talking about
WEATHER?  Heck... we don't even HAVE "weather" here in Southern California!)
<grinning>.

This doesn't mean men have no depth, but rather that man aren't used to taping
into that part of themselves and sharing it with others.  Not a crime, just a
habit..

Women, on the other hand, have for thousands of years shared the most intimate
details of their lives with other women, and even with those men whom will
actually sit there and listen.  Women are perfectly at ease sitting in a
roomful of strangers and discussing in detail the birth of their children,
their hysterectomies, their hubby's girl friend <g>, you name it.  And women
are not uncomfortable crying in front of each other either, because society
doesn't frown at that.

Then there's the fellas who find themselves living with a chronic disease.
They have the choice of remaining stoic, and slowly crumbling inside, or, if
they're both lucky AND smart, they find a support group in "real life," or
online which permits them to speak up about what they're going thru over the
months and years.

THEN we end up with what I believe is a bunch of very complete persons
(albeit, persons with a chronic disease), many of whom HAPPEN to be men.  We
get people COMMUNICATING with each other.  We get women doing what women have
traditionally done (TALK!) and men who are open about their pain, their
feelings, their sexuality, and SO much more!  We have people examining their
emotions and thoughts and then they share those feelings with each other.

I wouldn't voluntarily ever take on the miserable burden of living with a
chronic disease, nor would I wish it upon anyone.  BUT... I'm SO thankful that
since I DO have a chronic disease, I've been permitted to get to know, as we
do here, so many truly fine people.. with men that have transcended untold
generations of training in stoiacism... who SHARE feelings, emotions, ideas,
laughter, and even temper (SOME might call those little flair-ups
'personality") with each other.

You all have proven to me that we really ARE pretty much alike indside, after
we break down those inner walls, and all the boundries society and regional
enthnicity has restricted us with.  Odd that it should take Parkinson's
Disease to do that for us.

Barb Mallut