Barb, much of what you said is just reinforcing the erroneous view that SOME
women have of men.  You said....... a great many men are only comfortable
discussing their job, sports, politics and of course, the weather (do you
KNOW how many men I've dated who can spend HOURS talking about WEATHER?
Heck... we don't even HAVE "weather" here in Southern California!)......
Maybe men talk about the weather because they don't think women would
understand what men "Really" want to talk about, theoretical quamtum physics
or maybe the philosophical underpinnings of pre-Christian religion. These
things are what men talk about whan women are not around.

You also said.......
>This doesn't mean men have no depth, but rather that man aren't used to taping
>into that part of themselves and sharing it with others.  Not a crime, just a
>habit..

We men share with others who understand us - other men.

You also said.......
>Women, on the other hand, have for thousands of years shared the most intimate
>details of their lives with other women, and even with those men whom will
>actually sit there and listen.

Men listen; we just pretend we don't.  It drives women up the wall.

You also said.......Women are perfectly at ease sitting in a
>roomful of strangers and discussing in detail the birth of their children,
>their hysterectomies, their hubby's girl friend <g>, you name it.  And women
>are not uncomfortable crying in front of each other either, because society
>doesn't frown at that.

Why just the other day, after we men beat the drums, and did other man
things which women don't know about, we took sensitivity training to ensure
ourselves that we would react correctly when we were with women who wanted
to talk about the meaningless, inconsequential things women go on about.

You also said.......  We get women doing what women have
traditionally done (TALK!)
I won't argue about this part of your message.

You also said.......  with men that have transcended untold
>generations of training in stoiacism... who SHARE feelings, emotions, .........
> with each other.
We real men only do this in the privacy of our own closets  Although we
won't discuss what we were doing in the closet with a group of men!

But, in all seriousness, I agree that barriers tend to come down in times of
crises.

                                                                  Peace, John