On Wed 04 Dec, Pat Reilly wrote:
> Brian Collins wrote:
> >

> Brian,
>
>         I concure with your statment that the body and brain
> dopamine systems are seperate and not related.  However, I was not
> addressing Dopamine, what I was talking about actually was the L-Dopa
> traveling in the blood stream.  Since L-Dopa is a smaller molecule it is
> what crosses the blood-brain barrier and then is converted into
> dopamine.
>         In my research what I've discovered is that the L-Dopa molecule
> is the one that is used by the muscules as a sugar.  If the blood levels
> of L-Dopa is reduced then the brain has less of a supply to convert
> which implies less dopamine in the brain.  (Agree/Disagree)
>         I'm sorry it's taken so long to respond but it's finals time out
> here for my wife and daughter college cources and we all share the same
> computer, ie. I'm last to get on.
>
> Aloha
> Pat Reilly

Hello, Pat.  I've been thinking about your claims as stated in your last
mail. I am not sure of my facts in the world of chemistry (I am an
Engineer) so I must continually check to ensure that I am not drawn into
uncharted areas.
  As I see your case, you are sayimg that there is levodopa being carried
around in the blood stream, and that this levodopa has free access into the
brain, and is converted to Dopamine along with the levodopa originating
from the tablets which we take. If we take vigorous exercise, the level of
sugars in the blood falls, which means the level of levodopa falls - less
levodopa crosses the blood/brain barrier,and so we need more levodopa from
tablets.

It makes a plausible story, and I don't have enough knowledge of chemistry
to contradict you, but we can at least talk about levels and flow rates.
I have test data which shows background levels of levodopa at about 0.2
micro-grammes per millilitre, i.e. the natural level , compared to a switch
-on level of 0.75 The environment for levodopa in the bloodstream is very
hostile; an idea can be gained from the fact that when doctors first tried
to treat PD with doses of unshielded levodopa, only about 1% survived to
arrive at the Substantia nigra. Since no matter how hard you exercise, the
lowest level of external levodopa can only be zero, and as I have already
shown, this is replaced by a slight rise in the rate of levodopa from the
tablets, I consider that the original statement  - that exercise does not
require higher levels of levodopa- is justified. BUT, it may be necessary
to take the tablets more frequently; say every 1 3/4 hours instead of every
2 hours.

Regards,
--
Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>