Greetings, Will and all:

I was taken in once myself by such a hoax. What I'll do in the future is
describe the "news item" in the briefest terms (using just 3-4 key words)
__without_"republishing"_the_message,_ and ask if anybody on the list is
familiar with the item. I'll bet there are other authorities on hoaxes out
there too, who can help us sort the weeds from the trees.

You were kind to volunteer to help, so no apologies are called for, Will.

David
-----

On Sun, 1 Dec 1996, Will A. Kuipers wrote:

> Dear Folks,
>
> Barbara Mallut very graciously pointed out that I have been taken in by a hoax
> and made light of it.
> While I felt mortified, the sweet way in which she handled this made it
> allright.
> I still want to apologize to the whole group.
> I don't know that one can know in all cases that one is taken in, but in this
> case I guess the subject made me  see red in such a way that I did not spot a
> major clue, namely a quote with a date.
> That should have warned me that this was not a current thing.
>
> Sorry folks, I hope to be more diligent if something like this ever happens
> again.
>
> Will
>
> Will A. Kuipers          Dallas,TX     ( 75 / dx '91 )
> INTERNET:[log in to unmask]

David Robert Austen
Masters Degree Program in Information Science
Indiana University, Bloomington
Indiana 47405 U.S.A.
Telephone 812 335 8835  Fax 812 335 8598