   Dear Laurie,
      This posting is in response to your posting of 12/5/96 regarding how
posters tend to [Warning! Warning! This posting may contain humor!
Warning!---We now resume our regular typing/reading]label their postings as
humor or as a joke. So Ithink you were ad [Warning!  Warning! This posting
may contain humor! Warning!---We now resume our regular typing,which is a
joke in itself/reading] vocating for a form of self-censorship. Am I right?
In order to protect the writer of humor you would encourage self-
[Warning! Warning! This posting may contain humor! Warning!---We now resume
our regular typing/reading] censorship. Just so they may remain on the
Listserv and will not be exiled to a humor channel. Well to that  [Warning!
Warning! This posting may contain humor! Warning!---We now resume our
regular typing/reading] I say *&#@(&^$ and further more &^%##@##**&!!!! Let
them make their own way through the jokes and attempts at humor like the
rest of us especially those of us on the Digest format.WE are confronted
dailly by these hawker of what they  [Warning! Warning! This posting may
contain humor! Warning!---We now resume our regular typing/reading] would
suggest is humor.

   And what about people like me who,more often or not, like to slip a bit
of wit in among the serious words.Would we some how be forced to  [Warning!
Warning! This posting may contain humor! Warning!---We now resume our
regular typing/reading] join in this self-censorship thus utterly
destroying, by identifying, what is humorous?

Now Laurie,I"m going to restrain the Warning! insert for a moment while I
tell you in all seriousness that you apologize for what you have to say far
too often. You are clearly bright, have a fine sense of humor, can talk
knowledgeably about many issues and you commit it to a written form but
every now and then you throw in one of those "I was only........." No need
laurie... keep it coming.

My very best,
    george [[log in to unmask]]

WARNING!!  This posting may contain humor! [On the other hand it may not].