Excerpt from the December 1996 Parkinson's Action Network "Action Reporter",
an Advocacy Report for the Parkinson's Community-
Parkinson's Strategy-What's the Plan?
     In one sense, Parkinson's advocacy starts the 105th Congress from
scratch:  no pending bills survive from the 104th Congress, so legislation
must be re-introduced, leaders enlisted and co-sponsors recommitted.
     In fact, however, the huge increase in support in 1996 will provide
tremendous momentum for action in 1997.
     "The majority of past co-sponsors in the Senate and near-majority in the
House, combined with the Senate's unanimous passage of the Udall Parkinson's
research bill creates tremendous momentum for next year," notes Joan
Samuelson, PAN President.  "More co-sponsors will be added and new champions
will step to the front of our cause, pushed there by the continually rising
tide of Parkinson's community advocacy efforts.
     "Our fundamental strategy for the 105th Congress remains unchanged"
continued Samuelson.  "We must keep delivering the facts about Parkinson's
disease, its staggering  human and fiscal costs, the tremendous potential for
scientific breakthroughs and the indefensible disparity in federal research
funding.  The goal is to effectively deliver this message to every Member of
Congress, gather the co-sponsors and momentum necessary to ensure timely
consideration of a new Parkinson's bill, and then work as hard as possible to
achieve its passage."
Parkinson's Action  Network
800-850-4726
Headquarters:
818 College Ave., Suite C
Santa Rosa, CA 95404
phone  707-544-1994
fax  707-544-2363
email:  [log in to unmask]
Washington, DC office
601  13th St. NW., Suite 310
Washington, DC 20005
phone    202-628-2079
fax    202-628-2077
Brad Udall, Chair
Joan I. Samuelson, President
John L. Dodge, Treasurer
Bonnie K. Mioduchoski, Administrator
Michael Claeys, Community Coordinator
The Action Reporter is a free publication of the Parkinson's Action Network,
a  non-profit charitable foundation for a cure for Parkinson's.  Use of this
material in other publications is welcomed.  We ask that the Network be
identified as the source of the material, and notified how,  when and where
the material is used.  Simply call 800-850-4726