   Dear Mark and Margaret,

I can speak from the viewpoint of someone who has had both sides of my
brain done via unilateral Pallidotomies; the right side done in August 1995
and the left side done some 12 weeks ago. By and large I've done very well
but there are some residual problems including my speech. I had some speech
difficulties going back over the years so the left side surgery did not
cause my problem but rather it amplified it. I struggle with both low
volumn and being inarticulate at various time especially when I'm tired.
   AT the time of my 2nd surgery my Neurosurgeon had done some 90+
Pallidotomies and I was to be his 10th 2nd sider. Of the 9 before me, 4
[44%]had developed speech problems following 2nd side surgery.
I've heard of figures up to 80%. But people {patients] I talked with
believe that the overall result was so great that they viewed the speach
problems as minimal. You have to bear in mind that speech is only one of
several possiable problems,but I'm sure that you are aware of this fact.
   AS far as I know Dr.Robert Iacono of Loma Linda {Calif] is the only
Neurosurgeon in the USA who is doing Bilaterals. Barbara Mallut of this
group could fill you in on him. Dr.Lozano of Toronto doesn't do Bilaterals
because "it's too dangerous" [Quote by Joyce, this group] Perhaps the most
interesting surgery being done these days is by DRs. O'Brian and Alterman
of N.Y.U. They are Implanting a device that will be wired to a specific
part of the brain and when "on" will function much like one would following
a successful Pallidotomy. This is 2nd side surgery for people who have
already had their 1st pallidotomy .The nice part is that it does not
destroy tissue as does a pallidotomy. The down side is that it is not OKed
by the FDA and will cost some $50,000. Cheaper in Europe and Japan. It is
known as Deep Brain Stimulation[DBS} and much more info. can be found in
ourarchives.

    I hope the above is of some small help to the two of as you come to
some life change decisions.

My very best,
  G.J.LUSSIER   [[log in to unmask]]    !2/10/96   11:36PM