On Wed 11 Dec, J.R. Bruman wrote:
> To Brian Collins:
>
> As I recall, the articles I saw said nothing about the longevity
> of smokers among PWP, but they did say that either (a) heavy
> smokers had disproportionately low incidence of PD, or (b) PWP
> included a disproportionately low number of heavy smokers.
>
> Before you rush out for a carton of Marlboros, note that the
> above results don't necessarily indicate a cause/effect relation.
> They could mean only, for example, that aversion to smoking and
> susceptibility to PD are linked genetic traits, or conversely,
> that craving tobacco and resistance to PD are somehow linked,
> Researchers did, BTW, remark that nicotine is not the tobacco
> component involved here,
>
> Cheers,
> Joe
>
> J. R. Bruman (818) 789-3694
> 3527 Cody Road
> Sherman Oaks CA 91403

Your recollection is right, Joe; the conclusion which I quoted
was the interpretation of the person who told me the story, and
not the conclusion of the original report. I am quite sure,
however that it was the original report which was flawed. I
think it had to do with the fact that in studies of this sort,
covering a long timescale, the sample group (and the control
group) become depleted for reasons not associated with the
experiment. It was in compensating for this that the mistake was
made.
--
Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>