Margaret has been to see a neurosurgeon.   He has recommended a
bi-lateral pallidotomy .  Those on this list that I know of who have had
both hemispheres of the brain treated, have had them done in separate
operations, often separated by a considerable interval.    This
particular surgeon who says he has done over 60 pallidotomies,
apparently operates on both sides in the same 'sitting'.

We asked about the risks involved in this double procedure, and were
informed that there is no additional cause for concern and that the
current stereotactic MRI techniques  which enabled  precisely placed=20
1mm - 2mm lesions,  meant that there was  little or no chance that
Margaret's speech would be impaired by the operation. =20

We would be interested to hear from any list-members who have experience
or knowledge of this particular procedure.=20

Mark.
(CG for Margaret, 65/27yrs)

Mark  Atyeo
5/51 Alexander Mackie Circuit