In case any of the Hoosiers on the List fail to claim the recognition due
to one of the States sons, the poem was written in 1927 by Max Ehrmann
born in Terre Haute Indiana, and who died in 1945.

For some reason that I fail to understand, it is one of the most widely
mis-attributed piece of literature that I know. Ehrman's collected works
were still in print a few years ago, and published in the UK by Souvenir
Press ISBN 0-285-62724-4.

Incidently, Helen disagrees with all of derivations of Hoosier given to
date on the list, and believes that the word is of Dutch origin as the
Oxford Dictionary of English Etymology gives the dervivation of "Hose
article of clothing for the leg" (Du. hoos stocking). Were there any
Dutch stocking makers in Indianna?.

With best wishes to you all for a Happy Christmas and a better New Year

from Ray Lakin ([log in to unmask] - new address)