Hello Bruce,

Thanks for writing.

No, I am afraid I am not an experienced researcher.  I have high
qualifications in maths (I used to be in microwave communications), and in
my last post I was in charge of the statistical gathering and unit costing
for a large budget.  Other than that I could only offer a keen analytical
brain and a determination to find out as much as possible about our common
ailment.

However, your reply was exactly the response for which I was hoping,  your
professional expertise would be invaluable to such a survey.  I would be
more than happy to have any help and advice you offered.  Frankly, somebody
like yourself should take charge of the survey and others like myself should
work under you.  I would be happy enough just to have got the ball rolling.

A control, as you say, is important.  I have been pondering this one and
come to the conclusion that we could not use the partners of our subjects as
controls, because the symptoms of the problem we are investigating could be
reflected into their partner.

Anyway, perhaps we had better wait a few days to see whether enough people
are interested enough to take part in such a survey.  There is no point in
spending time working on something which may not get off the ground.

Ernie.

At 00:59 07/12/96 -0500, you wrote:

>Ernie,
>
>You don't say what your C.V. is so I can only assume that you are an
>experienced researcher. As you indicated, much thought must be given to
>the experimental design, both to how the data are to be collected and to
>how they are to be analyzed. Also you made no mention of a control group.
>Although your proposal would only be an observation the statistic
>obtained from it would have meaning only in comparison with a "norm".
>
>My area of specialization is in developing statistical models of patients
>which will aid the healthcare provider in determining a risk assesment for
>the patient and in determining the effecacy of alternative treatment
>regimens. (My ultimate goal is to develop a model for PD.) I would be
>willing to help you with developing and analyzing the survey if enough
>people express an interest in it.
>
>Bruce
>55/8
>Sinemet CR & Pramipexole

>Bruce G. Warr, Ph.D.        "Experience is what enables us to recognize
>Healthcare Informatics Lab   a mistake the next time we make it."
>Information Systems Dept.
>University of Maryland Baltimore County
>
>http://umbc.edu/~warr/
>(V) (410)455-3206