Y'know, Ernie.... I've been mulling over your idea for a "sex survery," for
Parkinson's research, and have finally reached a conclusion based upon both my
past experience with this group, and this current disussion going on here on
the PD list, and also based upon my own particular and unique job within the
chronically ill commmunity.

In my opinion, for such an inportant HUMAN topic, as well as a much needed
topic here for our Parkinson's group discussion, sexuality and related
problems  really hasn't BEEN well discussed within this group at all, compared
to many of the other topics we've tackled here.

The topic itself was well-received, but now, after a coupla weeks of
intermittant messaging going back and forth, it's just kind hanging there...
going nowhere.
After thinking about this retisense <sp?>, I've concluded that there's a
bigger problem than the majority of you are a\ware of.  This is is based upon
the fact that in my job as forum manager on The Microsoft Network's Chronic
Disease & Disorders Forum, where I deal with hundreds of individuals each day
having TONS of chronic diseases including PD between them, AND where I added a
Sexuality and Chronic Disease area to our discussion topics a few months ago.

Initially that area was met with the same "It's about TIME," that the same
topic got here on the PD list.  But after that first burst of posting, the
topic has simply withered and died on the vine, JUST as  it's doing HERE!

I'm truly AMAZED!  And I've concluded that this is a problem affecting the
entire chronic disease community, prolly world-wide, and with individual
exceptions.  Part of it is prolly just plain apathy and a certain
acorss-the-board chronic physical tiredness that so many chronic diseases have
as a symptom, and part fear and hesitation, and part is also the thought that
nothing is going to help (WRONG!), and part is that many of us may indeed be
sexually active to some degree, but are single and sexual relationships are
few and far between.  Also, there are many married couples that EVEN had both
partners been physically healthy,, they STILL wouldn't have had a sexual
relationship, for one reason or another

>From the above, I believe that THIS topic and the clinical facts about it's
relationship to chronic disease is going to be the one topic that will never
actually be resolved by our members here, nor by the greater community.

Finally, Ernie... to me, very personally, while I have no hesitation in
discussing my own sexuality or the topic itself, I DO think a certain
"specialness," a special preciousness of this one topic is lost when it's
reduced to mere NUMBERS.  Thus, I wouldn't take part in such a survey myself
as kind of a protest (if that makes any sense at all?).

Warmest regards (and huggles and smooches) <grin> to you and Julia.

Barb Mallut