On Thu 05 Dec, [log in to unmask] wrote:
> I had an assessment done recently due to the problems I was having with
> Artane.  My cognitive funcitions were severely impaired.  I was sent to a new
> neurologist who recommend that I go on Parsidol ( Parsitan in Cdn Generic
> name is Ethopropazine HCL.  It is only available in Canada.  Not because it
> is illegal but the pharmesuiticals in this country can't make a profit off
> it.
>=20
> It works well without some of the Artane side effects  I take a 50mg in the
> morning and it lasts for about 2 hours.  It does an excellent job of
> controlling the tremor but at the end of 2 hours you are not in very good
> shape.  I then take 1/2 a pill and that lasts for about an hour.  If they had
> a CR version it would be helpful.  Has anyone else had any experience with
> this drug?
>=20
> David Rohrbaugh
>=20
>=20
Hello David. I have had to dig quite deeply to find a reference to Parsidol.
It turns out to be another of the group of drugs known as Anticholinergics.
These drugs were popular in the days before levodopa was invented. It was=20
found (literally by accident) that by inhibiting the amount of acetylcholine
in the brain, this=A0seemed to make way for the production of a little more=20
Dopamine. You will detect that I am not exactly enthusiastic about these=20
drugs, and you would be right, but I am only reflecting the view of the
experts.  The more modern books refer briefly to the group, but does not=20
recommend them. In short: They have a high 'Side-effects ratio.' (By which
I mean the ratio of unwanted side effects compared to the effectiveness in=20
controlling PD symptoms.
  I realise that there may be people out there who hav been put on to the=20
anticholinergic drugs for a variety of reasons: You may suffer an allergic
reaction to levodopa: You may be in the early days of your PD, and are=20
being trwated by one of the rapidly disappearing group who seem to think=20
that it is a good idea to delay the introduction of levodopa for as long as
possible (it isn't): Or you may be being treated by an MD.

 whose last update
on PD was in 1955. You may think that your treatment with which ever of=20
these drugs you are taking has been satisfactory, so why change to
something which is unknown to you? All I can say in answer is that Artane
(of which I do have experience) and the rest may be coping at present, but
PD never stands still, and it may be a very different story in a year or
two. Meanwhile you are running a higher than necessary risk of side- effects,
which to me is the decisive factor.

You may well by now be feeling rather trampled-on, and are sitting muttering=20
'But I only asked about Parsidol' in which case I will get out of your hair.
Be assured however, that I am trying to recommend what I really believe is
the best course of action for you.
  I suggest that you try some of these points on your neurologist, and see=20
what he has to say
Regards,
--=20
Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>