At 01:11 AM 12/20/96 -0500, you wrote:
>Milton, here is another question: is there any way to inject a chemical
>into areas that are to be preserved, that would neutralize the radiation
>in those areas? OR what about the possibility of sending the radiation
>through areas of the brain that would not cause harm if they were
>destroyed?
>

>[OO] LOOKING FOR RADIOS!
>Ken Becker
>

>On Thu, 19 Dec 1996, Milton E McLain wrote:
>
>> Ken Becker has suggested that radiation therapy might be useful as a
>> means of a "non-invasive" alternative to surgical  palidotomy.  On the
>> surface, this may seem to be a viable technique - after all, radiation
>> therapy is routinely applied to the effective treatment of brain tumors.
>>
>> The limitation, in my opinion, is that radiation-induced brain tissue
>> damage can not be precisely limited to the desired few cubic millimeters.
>>  Therefore, more extensive undesirable side effects would be produced.
>>
>> Milton McLain
>> Certified Health Physicist
>> Nuclear engineer

Ken & Milton,

There is a Vancouver, Canada firm [QLT Photodynamic Therapy of which I am a
small stockholder and not getting rich] which produces photofrins. This is a
delivery system in which very potent drugs are injected ito the body. The
drugs are inertt until activated by light.  With cancer of the esophagus,
radiation therapy is not very effective and surgery is horrendous.. The
anti-cancer drugs are injected. A laser is run down the throat. Cancer cells
are hit with the laser and the drug is turned on only where the light hits,
leaving the healthy tissue undamaged.. Neat trick! CAUTION: DO NOT GO INTO
SUNLIGHT OR A BRIGHTLY LITT ROOM.  No  tanning salons!
WILL JOHNSTON   4049 OAKLAND SCHOOL ROAD
                SALISBURY, MD 21804-2716
                410-543-0110
Pres A.P.D.A.  DelMarVa Chapter