Date:   96-12-14 17:50:42 EST
From:   [log in to unmask] (Kees Paap)
To:     [log in to unmask] (Dale Severance)

Dear Dale,

I don't know if you are joking or serious so I try to answer at both
possibilities.

1. You are joking.
May I suggest you put in the subject something like : "joke, humor, fun or
something like that?
This possibillity deserved a short answer and got it, because I don't like
it when it is a joke. Why not? Because I know ppl who can use just a part of
that amount of money to have a much better quality of life.

2. You are serious.
In that case I have some remarks :
        a) The list is international although most of the members are
citizens of the USA.
        b) By choosing an american goal for your money, which is without no
doubt a good goal, you exclude the participation of "other" countries.
        c) The answers are probably easy to find on the WWW, but the WEB is
at saturday nights that busy that I don't know if I can make it in time.
(I'm searching right now). I received your message at 11.50 local time. I'm
temporarily in Israel, till december 22.
        d) Of course it is your money and who am I to advise you? But, if I
may say what's in my mind : "you are spending so much money, so easily, why
not open a special fund with a team/board of neurologists/patients/carers as
advisers, to spend the money in the best place with the best people in order
to find the solution for this disease, or meanwhile the search, find the
best way to cope or to live with this disease". It seems to me that you are
spending $100,000 in the same way as I spend $10. I'll add an amount of $ to
this fund in relation to yours, 1:10,000 and I hope your real name is not
Bill Gates.
        e) I doubt if you will sleep tonight.
        f) I will not sleep tonight.

I doubted whether I should send this answer to the list or to you
personally. I choose for the last, and leave it to you to forward it to the
list.

I read from your letters, you had a bad time. I sincerely hope you are
coping better now you're connected to this list. I have this disease for 7
years now and have heared a lot of experiences. I had some myself. I end
this letter with a poem I wrote :

Hi Kees: I've followed your postings with interest and enjoyed reading them.

I'm sorry if this attempt to have some fun upset you. I have tried to make it
up to you and the other non americans by extending the time limit on the
challenge by 48 hours.

Honestly the non us problem never entered my mind which kind of holds an
image of us all being in the same boat.

In any event its less morbid than the subject of  Euthanasia.

Dale Severance