Jack

You wrote in part:

----------
>         I have a Living Will prepared and expect it to be honored.

and then:

>         I fully expect also that no one has the right to tell me when
>         I should cease living. I don't need help from outside sources
>         to determine that final act of living. Making something as
>         private as our final day, a subject of public law, whether you be
>         pro or con, to me is absolutely ludicrous. Only I will enjoy the
>         benefits or travails of ceasing to live and unless someone
>         else is ready to take my place at that time, don't even think
>         about imposing your mindset on my how and when.....

It seems to me that the problem arises when/and if you lose the ability
to initiate actions.  It hardly matters what the law says regarding suicide.
The successful suicide is beyond any judgements we may make as
 individuals or as a society.  But as soon as you need the assistance
of another person (as, for example, in honouring a living will ) you
expose that person to the consequences of their action.  Can we, in all
compassion, leave those who love us or are charged with the care of us,
such a terrible dilemma.  Their position under law must be clarified. I fully
support your call that no-one impose their mindset on you,  I too hear that
drummer, but can we insist on imposing our mindset and values on those
we deputise to act on our behalf.

Dennis

Dennis Greene