Hello, Joyce and all:

Re: asleep at the wheel, I can only recount how lucky I've been. One day
(while just a bit dopey, I guess) an oncoming truck too off the mirror of
the camper I was driving. I didn't notice how close we both were to the
center line.

Later in the day, I fell asleep and woke up driving on the grassy edge -
on the OTHER side of the road. I had driven right across oncoming traffic.

Help was needed urgently!

1. I did a sleep test and discovered I suffered sleep apnea. Now I sleep
with a device to ensure that I continue breating normally.

2. I discovered Japan has many fewer such deaths, apparently because they
tend to chew gum while driving. That not an expensive experiment and I
think it works for me. Story is, the constant movement of the jaws tends
to stimulate blood flow through the head and brain. Treat yourself to a
"bouquet" of various flavors. Care: sugary gum may make some people sleepy.

3. I have discovered the joy of the cat nap. Just 15 minutes refreshes
me. I understand that an hour would not be so helpful. Check the research.
Only problem is I sometimes awake with a start, not remembering I have
already pulled over to a rest area to park!!

Happy (and healthy) driving!

David
-----

On Sat, 14 Dec 1996, Joyce Tames wrote:

> Donna,  welcome to the club of horrors.
>
> ME TOO!!!   fell asleep at the wheel while on vacation in Nova Scotia.
> Went airborne...bounced...airborne again...finally into an immovable tree.
>
> Compound fractured my rite wrist.
>
> Totalled the car.
>
> recovering from that trauma...3 ops....no use of that hand still after 5
> months...and still trying to cope with freezing legs.  HA HA HA
>
> Maybe 97 will be better ???
>
> drive carefully now...
>
> Joyce

David Robert Austen
Masters Degree Program in Information Science
Indiana University, Bloomington
Indiana 47405 U.S.A.
Telephone 812 335 8835  Fax 812 335 8598