Bruce Andersen wrote:

   <Over a year ago (summer of '95) there was some discussion on this list
   <about a speech therapy program for PWP called the Lee Silverman Program,
   <which was developed by a hospital or university in Colorado.  It is a
   <intensive month-long four-day-a-week program.
   <I expressed an interest and someone last January had a person named Karlene
   <Hall mail me a list of speech therapists (all with the initials CCC-SLP
   <after their names,whatever they mean).  I was not in a position to
   <undertake the program then, but I am now.  However, the name provided me
   <that was at all convieniet is no longer at the hospital where she had
   <provided this therapy.  A therapist I spoke to there never heard of the Lee
   <Silverman program.

   <- Has anyone had any experience with this program?
   <- Does anyone know where I could find out where I could find a therapist?
   <- Any other comments about speech therapy in general?

   <I do not yet belong to any support groups and have never spoken to another
   <PWP so I do not know if my speech problems are common or not, but they are
   <surely real for me.  The worst is not the constant, "what," "what did you
   <say"'s.  People are now stopping to even try understanding what I'm saying.

   <I don 't think an archieve search would be useful.  I haven't seen it
  <mentioned here  since 1995.  Thanks.

Bruce and others, I am happy to contribute in answering these questions.

Recently our support group: The Dallas Area Parkinsonism Society, together with
several other organisations, such as Presbyterian Hospital of Dallas and APDA,
organised a symposium on PD, that was held November 22-23 at the Dallas Parkway
Hilton.
I regret that due to misunderstandings this symposium, which was called "Sharing
Our Hope" and was a Patient and Family Symposium, was not reported on in this
ListServe. I will be happy to give more information to anyone that wants it.

One of the presentations given was :" Voice Disorders in Parkinson's Disease".
It was given by Cynthia M. Fox, M.A., CCC-SLP.
She is a speech-language pathologist with experience evaluating and treating
speech and voice disorders in individuals with Parkinson's Disease. She is a
member of the Lee Silverman Voice Treatment (LSVT) research team and has worked
closely with Dr. Lorraine Olson Ramig, principal investigator and developer  of
the LSVT. She is pursuing a doctoral degree in Speech Language Pathology at the
University of Arizona at Tucson with a focus on Neurological Voice Disorders.Her
affiliations include the Department of Speech and Hearing Sciences and
University of Arizona in Tucson.

Her presentation was the last one of the symposium and an eye and ear opener. It
was clear, humorous,
entertaining and educational. She practices what she preaches and her voice and
enunciation were pleasant, loud and exceptionally clear.

I am sorry that I cannot explain the significance of the letters behind Ms.
Fox's name.

I hope that this information is helpful to Bruce.

Greetings,

Will A. Kuipers       Dallas, Texas      75 / dx '91