Friends-- I hesitated for some time before posting my response on the
euthanasia/death-with-dignity question, precisely because I feared it
would be seen as an "attack". It was only intended as an expression of OUR
opinion, as this is something Peter (the PWP) and I have spent HOURS talking
about personally. _Of course_Jan, Kathie, and anyone else is entitled to
express an opinion which differs from ours--that should go without saying, and
if anything we said seemed to imply otherwise, I'm sorry.  Our only concern
is that with this matter, which is so controversial here as well as in
Australia, we respect the views of others and as a part of that respect
agree that we can disagree without "putting each other down" .  On this list
I believe the topic is a legitimate one--whatever view one takes, and that is
no doubt why Jan introduced it in the first place.  Like so many other things,
it is an intensely personal decision. Nor would I ever want it made by
"doctors, social workers, politicians". Anyone familiar with a Living Will
or Durable Power of Atty. for Health CAre knows that they are meant as an
expression of one's own wishes, and as a help to family members who may be
left with a very painful decision in en extreme situation.  Yes, we are
probably not all talking about the same things, and that's often true in
human discourse! We have NO wish to FORCE ANYONE to agree with us--and only
ask the same from others.  Can we manage this topic "out of the closet"?
Or must it, like sex, be s forbidden topic? We are open to hearing anything
that may be said in a spirit of exploration? We won't solve this issue here,
but we may stimulate each other to consider it from a different perspective.
Our comments on the * arguments * used in the piece Jan posted were NOT
directed at her personally, but at the arguments themselves,BTW.
Peter and Camille Flintermann(PWP 78/7) and CG, Ohio