I appreciate the time and thought that went into Jan's posting on euthanasia
and PD, and I admit it is a subject I have given much thought to. Again I
regret that the expression of any pro-life sentiment on this list evokes a
defensive posture from members who choose to live their lives according to a
different belief system. I can not recall a time when the pro-life community
of the list (yes, there are a few of us) attacked, admonished, rebuked, or
in any way even commented on the numerous pro-choice letters, opinions, or
articles that are posted. Do we have to have a PRO-LIFE header to be careful
not to offend the apparently tender pro-choicers, who also probably have
delete buttons on their PC's? Why can't Jan express her opinion? Don't her
concerns count too? If you don't care about what she has to say, delete it,
just like I do when someone's opinion offends me.

I for one am concerned about what will happen to me if "mercy" becomes a new
word for "homicide". The day my life is evaluated according to a checklist
of value and contribution may be a very sad day indeed; I just don't stack
up anymore. I have deep compassion for those who feel that the quality of
their lives has deteriorated past any reason for continuing on, and probably
even deeper compassion for their partners and loved ones. But I would much
prefer if that time comes for me, the decision about me, my life, and
eternity be made by myself, my husband, and my children...not doctors,
social workers, or politicians.

Kathie Tollifson