My apologies to the Net--I pulled this off the "Windows of the Mind"
of Harvard's Parkinson's Web page & in trying to get it into readable
text, I accidently sent it, before I was ready.  I think I will have that
statement carved on my tombstone---I wasn't quite ready!!!!
Anyway, I put this on Harvard's Web in May, just before I got sick and
had to have emergency surgery on May 26th. for a perforated sigmoid
colon.
I would like to dedicate this to all my world wide friends who have
PD and to their Caregivers.

Happy Holidays!!!!!
***********************
>>http://neuro-www2.mgh.harvard.edu/MIND/Poetry/ParkinsonsDiseasePoems/
>Howdoesitfeeltofly.html

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO FLY?
They all asked---What's it like to fly by yourself?
 Are you scared?
 How can you tell how far you have flown?
 Aren't you afraid of getting lost?
Now the Children ask, are you afraid when you fall?
What do you think about when you know you are falling?

Without flying, I can't imagine how to describe my affliction.
Little did I realize then, the first lesson learned would
describe Parkinsonism Balance Problems so completely.
 In my head,somehow, the gyro is not caged.

I remember well the exhilarating feeling of overcoming gravity and "lifting-off"
 That same feeling also describes the first dose of Sinemet.
 Now I "lift-off" without a plane, but there are no more winning "Spot
Landing Contests".
Now I use that short prayer all pilots are taught
--you know--the one you utter quickly, when all else fails?
Only now, for some strange reason, I quickly pray not to ruin my new pantyhose,
 that my skirt will cover my unbralicas, and that nothing serious is broken!!
For one fleeting moment, my memory is stirred ,the movement disorder
and flying are soul mates.
One day I'll be placed in a wheelchair, just for my own protection, they'll say.
 At that time I'm going to withdraw into the deep,dark, recesses of my mind
and sit in a corner, all alone.
 I want to remember that ONCE, sometime, someplace, somewhere
my spirit flew free!!!!!
At that time I will question all of humanity, God and the Hippocratic Oath.
 After a time I'll quit feeling sorry for myself, wheel out and purchase
 a whizzer motor for my wheelchair!!!
Then, and only then, will I honestly be able to answer the question
"HOW DOES IT FEEL TO FLY"??

-------------- Author's Notes --------------
I earned my Single-Engine Land Pilots License in 1965.
 In 1988, a Patron in the Library where I work as a Humanities
 Reference Librarian, in trying to be kind,
 thought I was going to stand up.  I had just leaned forward,
  but she had removed the chair.
 Now I suffer from Cerebellar Degeneration and Parkinsonism.
I still work full-time as a librarian, you know, "the white-haired
 one who can find  ANYTHING, but has a tendency to fall.

As Ever,
Marjorie Moorefield
just another librarian
(with PD)