>I know there has been discussion of PD and depression
>but I am afraid that up to now I haven't paid much
>attention to it.  Now I have reason to be concerned
>because of a family member with PD who is told that
>she is suffering from depression.
>Obviously PD and its accompanying problems are a
>significant reason to become depressed.  But
>here is my question.  PD affects brain chemistry--
>does PD also chemically cause depression?
>What drugs are typically prescribed for this
>type of depression?  Prozac?  Or other drugs?
>Thanks.
>Bryce Jones
>
>Bryce - I myself came extremely close to being at a point this past summer
where anti-depressants were to be subscribed - in speaking with a
neurologist at Emory University in Atlanta - the drug prescribed it
TYPICALLY whatever the doctor is familar and comfortable with - this
response to my question WHAT DRUG seemed a bit vague.  But it does make
sense - not all doctors are knowledgeable on all available drugs - take the
feedback you receive from this group and if a particular drug is not
mentioned by your family member's doctor - ASK!  As I have read from
doctors - something I am not good at.

As to  the cause of depression - it was also explained to me that life
events can obviously cause depression.  When depression cannot be explained
- then one can look to chemical changes in the brain. Sorry my memory is
going on me here - but I think since the dopamine levels are off - other
areas become over-productive - therefore getting things out of balance.  I
also think there has been some work in how serotonin is affected with PD.

Kind of iffy information - but thought I would at least respond.

Take care,

Christine Anne Sutter
Hilton Head Island, SC, USA